Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Whatever Wednesday!

I don't have much that is blog worthy this week, so I'm just going to jump right in to my Recipe of the Week!

Slow Cooked Pork Carnitas (Mexican Pulled Pork)
adapted from Gina's WW Recipes

2.5 lb pork shoulder blade roast, lean, all fat removed
6 cloves garlic, minced
cumin, to taste
adobo, to taste
garlic powder, to taste
1 can chicken broth (we use the low-sodium Swanson broth)
chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to taste (we used 5-6)
2 bay leaves

Season pork with salt and pepper. In a medium sauté pan on medium-high heat, brown pork on all sides for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

Cut small holes sporadically in the pork and insert garlic. Season pork generously with cumin, adobo and garlic powder all over.

Pour chicken broth in the crock-pot, add bay leaves and chipotle peppers. If the pork is not covered, add water until covered. Place pork in crock pot and cover. Cook low for 8 hours. (Our crock pot evaporates liquid fast, so you made need to add more liquid.) After 8 hours, removed the meat from the crock pot and shred using two forks. (Remove bay leaves and chipotle peppers prior to shredding.) Adjust salt and cumin (we had seasoned it well, so we did not need to add more).

We served this with low-carb tortillas, and topped them with reduced fat cheese, avocado and salsa.

Frankie came over for dinner when I made this and he and Ryan went nuts over it. They both request I make it again - soon - and my hubby who loves to send people home with all our leftovers, told Frankie he could only take half. It's THAT good.

Random Ramblings? Sure, why not! I finally got my new iPhone 4 yesterday!! That was my birthday present, and I used my birthday money to buy it. This thing is so great. I've had the iPhone 3G for a couple of years now, and will never use anything but an iPhone as long as I can help it. Well, the 4 puts the 3G to shame! It's lightening fast, I love the sleek new design, the screen is so clear and vivid and the features are unbeatable. My 3 favorite new features are, multi-tasking between applications, Face Time video chat between other iPhone 4 users and the video camera/camera with flash and zoom. As if I wasn't already obsessed over my phone enough, this has sealed the deal. Thanks, Apple.
Here is a quick little video of Frankie playing with Cooper that I shot last night while messing with the settings. The volume is low but Frankie is "baby" talking to Cooper. ;)



Photobucket

No comments: