Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I DID IT!!!!!

Ok, let me preface this blog by saying, I don’t cook. My Mom is convinced that I CAN cook, but most of what I try, Ryan doesn’t like. But, he is a tough critic. He was chef in a couple different restaurants before he started his current career. He has a gift. He is one of those people who can dig through the pantry and throw 6 random ingredients together and make it delicious. I, however, do not posses that gift. I must have a recipe. [I kind of wonder if it’s on OCD thing?] He does 99% of the cooking at home. Every woman on my Mom’s side [and my Gram on my Dad’s too] can/could cook. And they do/did it well. My Mom says it’s cause I haven’t had much practice. Let’s just say, my confidence is lacking. Well, until last night that is…

As you may know from a prior blog, I dove into the world of coupons and with it, have come across lots of recipes. I had printed a few out, but hadn’t had the confidence to try them on my foodie husband yet. Well, last week I saw one of the recipes I’d printed out on my friend Christina's blog so I decided, what the heck. I’m doing it.

Last night, I made Ranchero Beef Taco Casserole from the Campbell’s website. YUM!!!! It was so good!!! Usually, if I cook, Ryan takes a few bites and I can quickly tell by his face that it’s lacking. Well, last night, I timidly watched him take a few bites…and then a few more. After a moment I asked “Well…?” And he broke into a smile! I DID IT!!!!! I made something my husband likes!!!! Now I know I can do it…I just need to try more. And I think he rather liked being able to sit on the couch watching TV and unwinding while I made dinner.

Here is the recipe: [I plan to tweak it a little…next time I will use Fritos or Tortilla chips instead of regular tortillas to add some crunch.]

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
3 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 cup Pace® Chunky Salsa
3/4 cup water
8 corn tortillas (6-inch) OR 6 flour tortilla (8-inch), cut into 1-inch pieces
2/3 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions:
Cook the beef in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until the beef is well browned, stirring frequently to break up meat. Pour off any fat.

Stir the soup, tomato paste, chili powder, garlic powder, salsa, water, tortillas and half the cheese into the beef. Spoon into a 2-quart shallow baking dish. Cover.

Bake at 400°F. for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbling. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.

YAY!! :) I felt very domestic - and I loved it!!

xo

4 comments:

Courtney said...

I agree that the recipe needs a little more crunch. But isn't it yummy?? :) I'm glad it went well for you...I can't imagine trying to cook for such a tough critic. I'm lucky that Branden will eat almost anything, and think it's good too.

Rachel♥ said...

Yes, def needs some crunch, but it was soooo tasty!! Thanks girl!!

Christina T said...

Yay!! I'm glad you liked it.

And I get your feelings on the tough food critic. My hubby is the same way, and so many times I want to tell him to cook it himself!

Unknown said...

Yay! Congrats! I love cooking yummy meals!